Monday, September 2, 2013

The fair is over, summer is over- boo!

Happy Labor Day to all!  If you are laboring today, enjoy knowing that you have a job.  If you have the day off from your job, enjoy the day off knowing that you have a job.  Whoops - guess I kinda got into that job thing.

From a few posts back, I refer to our holidays as working days, this one being no exception, however we had a pleasant surprise as we worked on spray/farm records in the office.  I thought I heard a helicopter go over the house, but than I heard another one?  What's going on?  We went outside, checked the sky and the helicopter was landing in our yard?!?!?  It was our good friend, Kurt Myron out for a solo flight.  It looked really cool, but not on our bucket list.  To ride in one - yes, to drive one - no way!  Thanks Kurt for "stopping" by!

Now this is the way you visit your friends!

The last day of the state fair is today, which sadly means, summer is over and we say boo-hoo!  However, we wanted to share one more "taste" of the fair with you about our favorites.  I had to try "Hotdish on a Stick" - ta tor tots and meatballs on a stick dipped in a hotdish sauce ( most common sauce created with cream of chicken, cream of mushroom soup, milk and/or cream) and than of course deep fried.  Amazingly yummy?!

"Hotdish on a Stick" (doesn't everything look good deep fried?)

Yes, it does say Ole and Len's Hotdish on a Stick - crazy Norwegians!!
 Cheese curds are always on our radar, price the same as many years ago, BUT the portion MUCH smaller - so had to eat two!
Cheese curds are still quite yummy, but do you see the size - tiny!!!!!!!

  Walleye on a stick by locals Paul and Shellee Hansen  are a must and Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods visited them too!  Sweet! Maybe they'll be celebrities on TV as well.....hmmmm!

Now serving smelt and catfish along with their signature walleye.

Paul and Shellee are the cutest couple - they've been serving Walleye on a Stick for 23 years
(Gotta dig Shellee's eyewear - she's calls them her fry glasses - she's chief fry master!)

 One newbie we tried, sweet corn ice cream.  I thought it was delicious.  Randy wasn't keen on the sweet corn chunks in ice cream ( you must know that his favorite ice cream is vanilla or white as our granddaughter calls it - so that explains his appetite on ice cream products).  There were several more items such as pronto pups, beer, mini doughnuts, beer, Sweet Martha's cookies, beer - you get the idea.  In our defense, the temps were in the upper 90's - and we took the bus, so we had fun!

I say- What?!?!

Dear hubby trying the ice cream in the very appropriate T-shirt for the day!

  See the little bits of sweet corn.  A praline nut, graham cracker mixture is sprinkled on top.


 Speaking of chocolate chip cookies - did you know that Sweet Martha makes 12 million - yes I said million - cookies in 12 days! (just to make sure my accounting head is on right for working today), that's 1 million a day!  Yikes!  I'm thrilled when I get a couple dozen made for the cookie jar.
A cup of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies......yummmmmmmm!

The sign should read "Where 1 million cookies are made everyday!"

  I don't have her famous recipe but I do have one of my own that I will say is pretty darn good and it's my recipe this week.  It was a harvest favorite and continues to be the one cookie recipe that gets made again and again.  We change out the chocolate chips for peanut butter chips or M & M's and even the toffee chips are excellent.  Have fun making, what should we call them....oh I know.....Cool Juls cookies - what do you think?  Too much?

Have an awesome day however you are spending it!

- Julie ( I mean Cool Juls) -

Cool Juls Cookies
(Click here for a printable version)

1 c. butter shortening
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 1/3 c. white sugar
1 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
4 tsp. vanilla
4 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. milk chocolate chips or peanut butter chips or M & M's (I prefer the mini ones) or a mixture?!?

In mixing bowl cream shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Add vanilla.  Combine the dry ingredients and add to the creamed mixture beating well.  Stir in chips. Using a cookie scoop (I like the medium size) place scooped cookies on lightly greased baking sheets at 350 degrees for 14 minutes.  Let cool on baking sheets for 3-4 minutes and transfer to cooling trays.  Let cool completely before placing in cookie jar. Note:  I like the cookies to be light in color, slightly underbaked, as they continue to bake on the sheets after taken out of the oven.

This recipe makes a bunch of cookies, several dozen, depending on the cookie scoop size of your choice.

 My Tip:  I like fresh cookies and not ones that have sat in a container for days or baked up and in the freezer for weeks or months.  When I whip up a batch, I will bake one cookie sheet worth and freeze the rest into scooped balls before baking.  Some people get nervous about this because the eggs have not been cooked.  I have had no issues in the 30 plus years I've been making these cookies because I freeze them right away.  When I need to replenish the cookie jar, I just take out as many cookies as I want to bake, thaw in the refrigerator till softened and than bake them.  How wonderful to have fresh baked cookies, just like Sweet Martha's at the fair!




No comments:

Post a Comment