Monday, August 5, 2013

Can it still be strawberry season? okay how about pie?

I know that I'm a bit late on posting a great recipe about strawberries but my life has been a bit consumed lately and this poor pie was left out of the loop and it wants it's star moment so here it is.....the best strawberry pie ever (at least it thinks so and me too!)

Sky High Strawberry Pie
Click HERE for a printable version

3 quarts fresh strawberries, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup water
red food coloring, optional
1 deep-dish pastry shell (10 inches), baked - Note:  I used two 9 inch shells
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding mix

In a large bowl, mash enough berries to equal 3 cups.



In a saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch.  Stir in the mashed berries and water; mix well.  Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.


 Cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from the heat; add food coloring if desired.  Pour into a large bowl.  Chill for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is just slightly warm.  Fold in the remaining berries.


 Pile into pie shell (or in my case, shells).


Chill for 2-3 hours.  In a small mixing bow, whip cream until soft peaks form.  Sprinkle pudding mix over cream and whip until stiff.  Pipe around edge of pie or dollop on individual slices.  (Sorry no photos of the cream on the pie, I was so excited to eat the pie and the awesome cream that I forgot to take one - you will have to trust me and that I LOVE the cream and pudding mixture for whipped cream instead of adding sugar - it is YUMMY!)  Serves 8-10 with a 10 inch pie and 12-16 with two 9 inch pies.

Click HERE for a printable version

No comments:

Post a Comment