Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Giving Tuesday

 Gratitude has been on my mind lately, not just because it seems to fall into place during this advent season, but how I can share my gratitude into giving.  I am grateful for MANY things and have been VERY blessed to be living the life I imagined!  I set out on a mission to find out how people celebrate this special time in anticipation of Christmas. There are literally thousands of ways people give of their time and gifts.  My favorite ones were the homemade variety.


An advent blessing jar from Vermillion Rules is a great way to include the whole family.  I also love the random acts of Christmas kindness advent calendar by Coffee Cups and Crayons.

 The 1st Tuesday in December has been chosen as "Giving Tuesday"- a global day dedicated to giving back. 



 The idea that charities, families, businesses, community centers and students around the world will come together for one common purpose: to honor generosity and to give - well, that is truly awesome!  So, from global day, an idea has sprung forth to create an advent type - 24 days of giving and to extend it over 12 months.  Each month to have two giving days.  January 2015 will be the start of my "24 Gifts".  Who, what and why am I giving?  I am working on a list of 12 different giving activities and will share them with Douglas and Grant counties in Minnesota.  ( I live in Douglas, but grew up in Grant!)  The list so far includes: Food shelf,  Humane Society, Thrift Store, Library, Sheriff's Dept., and Social Services.  As you can see I need a half dozen more, but that will come as I visit with people/organizations who have charitable needs.  The what I'm giving will consist of food to the food shelf, animal treats to the Humane Society, new books to the library, etc. The why is my gratitude of what I've been given in my life and a pay it forward attitude!  



At the start of  2015, I will pick a Who and Oh Happy Day it will be as I share with you what gifts they will receive- maybe you'd like to be a part of the giving of "24 Gifts" too, the more the merrier! 

Enjoy this special season of sharing and to quote Winston Churchill -"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  

-hugs- Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment